Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel Pole Rigging Lines

Stephen Davis

Hey Gary,

I’m no expert, but my opinion is that Amel used the stretchy line for a reason, and it probably helps to reduce shock loads on the poles. In the scheme of things, buying some more line is a lot less expensive than breaking a pole. FYI...we have a newer SM2000 on our dock in Hawaii with absentee owners, and it appears they have broken both poles on their trip from California to Hawaii. I have no idea how it happened, but it’s not a pretty sight.

Good luck getting it all figured out.

Regards,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Ko Olina, Hawaii

On Jul 28, 2018, at 03:22, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Gary,

Imho the boat won't know the difference as the sails and sheets take up any shock load. You don't say which Dyneema you got, but the range of stretch in the various "flavors" actually overlaps with some of the StaSet products. I don't see any problem and pretty is good :-)
Cheers,
Craig, SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Well .. I made a big and expensive mistake when looking for some lengths of line last week.  I couldn't back out of it because even though I said "StaySet" I touched "Dyneema" and that's what they cut for me.

I think I know the answer already, but does anyone have an opinion (well .. I know that answer too :) ) on whether safety would be compromised if the Amel Poles were rigged with a non-stretching line?  I'm debating it as it seems the Poles would need some wiggle room to shift stresses, but conversely the sails themselves do a lot of shock absorption.

At any rate, I'm considering rigging the poles with 8mm Dyneema since I have a lot of it now (and it's in pretty colors) and since the original braided lines are getting pretty old.  Thoughts?

Gary W.
SM #209, "Adagio"
Malta