From: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 5:07 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Run rail maintenance

Thanks Duane, Alex and James for your help

For now I’ll clean and boat wax as James has done and save the kids from dusty white hands and feet as they clamber aboard in interesting ways

Really nice to see the new rub rail Alex. Looks cracking!

All the best

Miles

On 29 Jul 2018, at 20:19, sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups..com> wrote:

I really don't like the Amel rub rail (one of my few complaints), and rubbing on a pile and you've damaged the gel coat.

So, I'm thinking of adding a rubber extrusion to the rub rail.  Mate USA sells a track you would screw into the current rub rail where the white stripe is.  Then you would press on the "Soft Insert".  I ordered a 6.5 foot section of the track (one piece) and a one-foot section of the vinyl insert for a test fit and it's a close thing whether they would fit or not.  Next time I'm somewhere for a month I plan on ordering a longer section of each to install to see how it fits around the curves.

The vinyl rubrail is ordered to length so there are no splices and it also has end sections. The track comes in 6.5foot sections.  If you want to look it up it's Item T130-141-006-2 (Rigid Track) and T130-141-007-W

I've seen several SM's with a stainless bead screwed to the Amel rub rail, but I don't like the look.

Has anyone done something else to protect the gel coated "rub rail"?

The other way of handling the dings I suppose is to just paint every few years.  The white stripe is just auto detail tape according to the fiberglass guy who did some repair work for us.

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477