Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Climma AC, SM

Eric,

That comment about the expert engineer was an inside joke between Gary and me...I should have noted that. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018, 19:15 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

The only issue I can see with mounting the A/C unit “backwards” is that the temperature sensor is mounted on the front of the coil. This might make the sensor think it is sensing  a different temperature than the ambient air in the head .

If I were to have designed  the thermostat setup ,in the aft cabin, I would put the thermostat in the cabin with an electronic sensor attached, and not in the head. I did this when I installed my Dometic A/C unit.

With the old unit the head was always warmer than the aft cabin. Now the aft cabin is at the correct temperature.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 7:52 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Climma AC, SM

Gary,

I am sure that you already solved this issue because when something is not right on your SM, you always make it right. However, I need to tell you that I remember meeting a guy who once owned a SM. In fact he was a super-duper engineer that invented the turbine propulsion that makes Navy subs run silent. He also invented the nuclear aircraft carrier turbines that cause the carrier develop unbelievable speed. I can't write that speed here because it is highly classified.

I think this guy told me that he mounted his aft Climma AC in a roundabout orientation to improve the Venturi effect, thus doubling fan output. Maybe he was involved somehow in your SM.😀

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  
http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Any opinions and conclusions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and should not be construed as representing the opinion of an expert. Manufacturers' and Expert's precautions must be taken when dealing with mechanical and/or electrical systems to ensure that you are NOT harmed, and/or the device and/or system is NOT ruined. If in doubt, do not touch any referred to mechanical and/or electrical device or system.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 6:20 AM gary@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Well, here's a question I just need to bounce around.  I need to see if the aft air conditioner on my SM is mounted correctly, or was installed "backwards".  I talked to Bill R. about it, and I am pretty sure I have exactly the right answer, but unfortunately that answer comes with no solution.

I have the aft air conditioner out and sitting in the head.  The way it was installed put the air input/cooling fins outboard, kind of against the hull and it is impossible to clean them without detaching the whole unit and sliding it out for access (meaning pulling out the head). 

Looking over the situation, it would be pretty easy to re-plumb it and reverse the orientation so that the cooling fins were facing inboard into the head. ~but~ , the exhaust elbow for the blower fan does not appear to be in any way movable as far as I can see.  Makes me wonder if there were right-hand/left-ha nd versions of the eh-9 compact, or if others might have a similar orientation with their units..

I'm not sure I want to 'solve' the problem if it's normal.

Could someone else with a hull number close (we are 209) take a quick look see and let me know how your unit is oriented? 

Thanks,

Gary W.

SM 209, "Adagio"

Malta

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.