Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Original Autopilot Integration With New Chartplotter

James Alton

Bill,

   I like your concept of having some stand alone instruments and would like to learn of a good way to have some of the benefits of the network without being reliant too on it .  I will be buying most everything new for my boat so have lots of options so long as I don’t blow the budget. (grin)   If you have any thoughts or suggestions on achieving a good balance between the standalone and networked items please share.    I am using a Zeus 3-9 as my plotter and was thinking of adding the B&G 4G radar.  My instrumentation is the original B&G Analog style which mostly still work.  The wind was replaced by an Advansea unit that still works fine but I think is being phased out.  I really like the idea of the forward looking sonar but wonder if the range and accuracy might improve if I wait a while on that one.  I have two backup chart plotters that are standalone plus a handheld.  I only have the original rotary autopilot which works fine so far. Would you recommend carrying a spare rudder sensor?  Beginning to get the boat ready for the trip from the Med. back to Florida.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueño
Maramu #220,  about to begin another season in the Med!

On Aug 5, 2018, at 10:18 AM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Mark,

We have a similar set up.  A Zeus Touch, a 3G radar, and two AP computers; a B&G AP42, and an older Raymarine 6000 as the backup.  We did keep the existing B&G wind sensor because it works.

We did minimal "integration" deliberately trying to keep the backup Raymarine as independent as possible of the NMEA2000 network--just in case.

I don't think you need a separate 0183/2000 converter.  Your Zeus2 has a NMEA0183 output that echos all the data that the AP needs.  There is a table of supported 0183 output data in the Zeus2 installation manual.  You will want to cross-check that with the data needed by the Raymarine to be sure.

We kept the original Raymarine fluxgate compass, which in on our unit is hard-wired to the AP just to have a backup for that critical piece.

Bill Kinney< /div>
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Hello All,

I am considering upgrading the chartplotter (B&G Zeus2), radar (B&G 4G), DST (Simrad 800) and wind sensor (Maretron WSO 100) on our SM.  The Raymarine autopilot (400G course computer) is working well and I would like to integrate it into the new system.  It seems I should be able to do this fairly easily with a 0183 to 2000 converter but would like to know if anyone has actually done it, and if so, their experience with the setup.

Mark
Lulu
SM 391
South Freeport, Maine