Re: re caulking of stanchion base

mfmcgovern@...

Davi,

That screw is black oxide coated mild steel.  It will rust in no time.  You want to use 316 Stainless Steel screws whenever you can on the boat.  Certainly for anything that is exposed to salt water.  Here is a link to a 316 Stainless Steel Hex Drive Flat Head screw should work for this application:  https://www.mcmaster.com/#93395a410/=1e1x4s3

Mark McGovern
SM 440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <greatketch@...> wrote :

Davi,

That doesn't look like the right screw...  I do not think it is stainless...

The best choice would be part number Grainger Item# 26LG09  But before you order them, pull out one of the existing screws to be sure the size and length is right!  All I know is what screws were used on my boat...

I used Grainger part number 31JR46.  It has a slotted head. I ordered them before I saw Joel's excellent suggestion to use the socket head screws. Next time!

Compass Marine has an excellent "how-to" page on the how's and why's of using butyl tape for sealing deck hardware.  https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <davi.rozgonyi@...> wrote :

Bill, Hi there.... is this the screw for the job, from grainger? I think I might be needing this soon on my SM #56... Got some butyl tape ordered too...so would I unseat the stanchion, clean the rust from everything, tef gel the screws as per your instructions in this thread, then only use butyl tape to cover the whole stanchion base and rescrew everything down?

Many thanks...
Davi