FW: [Amel Yacht Owners] Looking for suggestions on galley refrigerator

eric freedman

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 9:58 PM
To: 'sailormon'
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Looking for suggestions on galley refrigerator

Hi,

We spend most of the winter in St Maarten or south.

We have never had a problem with the reefer.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 9:57 PM
To: 'amelyachtowners@...'
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Looking for suggestions on galley refrigerator

There was a piece of foam near the air intake for the compressor coil it degrade and caused the reefer to overheat.

Possibly you have the same problem.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of thomas.kleman
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2018 4:36 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Looking for suggestions on galley refrigerator

Hello- I own SM2K #422. The galley refrigerator seems incapable of getting to 47 degrees F, even when it has been defrosted. OK I'm in Bonaire where it's hot right now but........I've done the best I can on the door seal and have insulated the evaporator connection behind the unit pretty well.

In the settee units, I have lined the interior of both of them with Kevothermal vacuum insulated panels (R value of this stuff is 60 for 1 inch....it comes thinner as well). This isn't practical for the galley refrigerator because the outside fits too tightly in its place and the inside has too many irregularities to build a vacuum insulated panel mosaic.

I don't want to replace it.........it works and having a new unit wouldn't be great aesthetically (and getting the wood panel off the old unit to remedy that looks difficult).

I've considered increasing the size of the evaporator.......even though re-siting the evaporator drip tray and drain is likewise kind of a pain.........

So I'm in the "scratching my head" place right now considering solutions. I was wondering if anyone had done anything creative.

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.