Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: SM Running Rigging

greatketch@...

Ryan,

The logic applies, in that the line size needs to match the drive wheel.  My genoa car control lines are 10mm. The line drives have an Amel logo on them, so I assume they are a custom design. The 10 mm lines seem to work well.  Occasionally they slip under very high loads, but that seems to do with needing tension adjustment rather than being the wrong size.  If anyone has used larger line in this application and been happy with the result, I'd love to hear it.

These control lines need to be very tight, and very low stretch, to work.  As the sheet loads up, it pushes the car back toward the line drive.  If there is ANY slack, the line unloads from the drive wheel and  the car then "adjusts itself" aft.

I have had no reason to change from 10mm at this time.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote :

That's an excellent tip, Bill.  Do you know if the same logic applies to the genoa car controls?  Those things appear to be unique to Amel, but they are the same basic design as the Andersen.

Thanks,
Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 3:50 PM greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

On any lines working with an Andersen Line Tender you'll need to follow Andersen's insistance

and use 12 mm line. This is the mainsail outhaul line, and the mainsail traveler line.

The story is that the 10 mm line used by Amel was bigger and better than everybody else's 10 mm line.  But whatever the cause, in my experience, if you go to your local chandlery and buy 10 mm line as specified in the Amel documents, it WILL slip under load.

I installed one of these Andersen Line Tenders as part of my mizzen traveler upgrade.  (one of the best things I did to the boat!) https://fetchinketch.net/boat-projects/mizzen-traveler/ When I first installed it I used 10mm lines because that is what Amel documents specified for the identical application on the main traveller...  they didn't work. When I actually measured the main traveller lines, they were 12 mm OD not 10mm.  Swapping up to 12 mm line solved the issue.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <karkauai@...> wrote :

Thanks, Miles.  I hope you’re having a good Summer.

  I think I have a good picture of the manual furling rig in my mind.  Makes sense to use the same line as the one to drop the main sail.  Do you know if it’s 10 mm? 12mm?

The lists of SM rigging already have lines listed for the outhaul and traveler and jib car lines.  Yes, same material, but I guess 12mm may be what’s recommended now instead of 10mm.  So the “Tack Line” is listed as something different.  Still trying to guess what they’re talking about.

I’ll post pics of everything when the upfit is complete.

Hi to Carol.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy