Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: SM Running Rigging

I am sure than 12mm vectran is perfect for those tasks.

Regrettably, many of these fibers are trademarked brands and it is near impossible to compare apples to apples.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:42 PM divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Found out some interesting things :

1. I thought Vectran was kevlar...it's  not
2. Spectra and Dyneema are basically the same and both exhibit creep i.e they will stretch permanently under  load.
3. Dynex is an "improved" Spectra that exhibits less creep than Spectra, but is much more expensive.
4. Vectran has strength similar to kevlar and exhibits very low creep.

12mm Vectran is what I have on Elyse for the main outhaul.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
Port Havannah, Vanuatu