Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Anchoring in deep water in the S Pacific.

karkauai

Oh, misunderstanding on my part.  So you leave it all connected and run the rope rode down the hawsepipe into the chain locker and drop the chain in on top of it?  ALAN said his was permanently attached, too, but I didn’t stop to think exactly what that meant.

Seems like the rode wouldn’t go in very efficiently and would fill the bottom of the chain locker. When the chain went in it wouldn’t have the divider there to encourage the chain to flake.  Sounds like a mess in the making.

I had envisioned letting all but about 5m of chain out, snubbing the chain, pulling the chain up out of the locker and attaching the rode to the end.  Reversing that on retrieval.

Either way sounds like a potential problem in the making.

I guess it will all come to be easier than it sounds, but I’ve gotta say, it makes me anxious.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

On Aug 12, 2018, at 6:01 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

You can't use a thimble and shackle, they wont fit out of the hawse pipe. You have to do a splice onto a thimble anyway so splicing to the chain is no big deal.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Parl

On 13 August 2018 at 09:38 "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Danny, great advice!  I like attaching the line to both anchors.

  I assume that with 300 ft of chain, the rope rode will be well above the bottom.  I’m calculating that in 40 meters, I’ll want a total of 42 x 3 = 126 meters or 440 ft...and that’s just 3:1 scope.  That’s a whole new universe for me!

Any reason not to connect the chain to the rode with an eye splice on a thimble and a shackle?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Aug 12, 2018, at 3:48 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] < amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

I agree with Bill Rouse. In deep water your ratio can be less. One VERY important thing with chain and rode is when anchoring in coral areas your rope portion must be well clear of the bottom otherwise it will be cut by the coral. Connecting the rope to the chain is a simple splice technique. You have to share the strands through two links. They wont all fit through one. To give security make at least six tucks in the splice.. So my rode is permanently attached. Dual anchor systems. I agree with Rocna, your primary anchor should be sized to be adequate and your 40 kg is that.

However if you want two anchors down the best method is tandem. Attach 10 m of chain to the hole in the leading edge of your primary anchor and add the second anchor to that. Then take 13 metes of floating line and attach one end to each anchor. This is to facilitate retrieval. When the primary anchor is back in the roller this rope is used to pull the other in. Its floating line so it wont tangle in the chain when deployed. This tandem system is vastly superior to deploying two anchors separately. The tandem are always in line and both are always fully holding.

Kind Regards

Danny

On 12 August 2018 at 08:49 "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" < amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Wow, guess I’ve got to devise a good way to add rode to my 300 ft of chain.  Is 250 ft of 1 inch rode on 300 ft of chain enough? That’s less than 6:1.  There was some discussion a while back, but still not comfortable with the transition from chain to rope.  I guess hooking with the snubber line, disconnecting the chain from the locker, pulling it up on deck and shackling it to the rope is about all one can do.  Sounds like a hassle.

Is the bottom in most places amenable to a ROCNA anchor?
I have a big Fortress and a Mantus as spare anchors, but have never used them.

Does anyone have a good way to mount a spare anchor on the rail?

Have you (or anyone else) used two anchors in tandem?  The ROCNA has a place to shackle a chain to the neck, but it would be difficult to get to, and even harder to retrieve. I guess a line with a float attached to the second anchor could be retrieved with a boat hook and hauled aboard with a halyard.  My back is already complaining about hauling it aboard by hand.

Any and all advice, experiences that taught you something, hints, etc greatly appreciated!

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Hi Kent,

the question was not to me but I have fond memories of time there (Raiatea). I spent a lot of time anchored in 27 meters (90 ft).

Kind Rgards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl