Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Generator exhaust

michael winand

Thanks Bill.
We are installing a sincro sk160  mated to a kubota d11.
It is a little more powerful than the original onan.
The old engine was damaged by corrosion in two cylinders.
The information from the installation people told me that they would not be happy with the way the syphon loop vented to the exhaust system and being in the horizontal plane. Could cause issues. The reduction in size through the water lock would have caused back pressure?
I think that other owners may have been in the same position.
I have a few spare parts from the Onan.

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 at 0:37, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]
wrote:

Michael,

I can not give you an authoritative insight into Amel's reasons for reducing the size of the hose, but...

The total volume of the exhaust hose is a design criteria for the water lock.  The box needs to be able to catch and hold at least one hose full of water without overflowing back to the engine.  If the hose run is long, then they might have needed to neck it down a bit to keep the volumes matched.

If the horsepower of your new genset is equal or less than the original installation, then I would match the exhaust system as originally designed.  If your new genset engine has higher horsepower rating than the original, I'd have an expert on engine installations look it over to be sure the exhaust system is sufficient.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Hi, I am installing a new genset into a super maramu 2000.
The engine is a kubota with a 50mm hose going to the vetas water lock. On the outlet of the water lock the hose reduces to 40mm. This is how the original is installed. It has a reducer 50 to 40mm glued  into the water lock.

Can anyone help with the reasons why the hose is reduced in diameter?
The generator supplier  advised to have a 50mm hose going on the water lock outlet.
Thanks