Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Anchoring in deep water in the S Pacific.

Nick Newington

I have used a tandem anchor arrangement  two times in 30 years of ocean voyaging. Both times when I had to leave the boat at anchor for a month. Once at the Dar Es Salam  yacht club in Tanzania and the other time up the Guadiana river.
These were safe anchorages but seeing as the boats were left unattended I was happy with the extra work.
I would be reluctant to use the tandem setup in a less than secure anchorage as if I had to leave in  adverse circumstances it could all get a bit tricky not to mention having all my eggs in one basket. Potentially loosing two anchors.

My view is that it would be better to have an oversized anchor, Spade or Rocna type well set, one chain ready to leave in the dead of night.

Nick

On 14 Aug 2018, at 08:36, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I'm with you Bill.

i posted the link to Rocna Pete's article a few days ago.
I an not a fan of anything that makes things complicated, especially when it comes to anchoring.
In the real world it's almost impossible to know whether tandem anchors would work any better than one good sized anchor with plenty of chain. There are just too many variables.
To compare, you'd have to have the same boats in the same place, same conditions, same anchors...and even then we all know that all anchoring spots are not the same.
How many times have we dropped the pick in one spot, pulled back on it ...no good, pick it up again and move a little to the side...perfect?
Its a debate that will continue for sure, but I much prefer one anchor, one set of issues to deal with.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
Port Havannah, Vanuatu
PS what I described above about anchors not setting ? This happened to us today...dragged quite bit, picked it up, moved 20 m to the W and its stuck...1800rpm in reverse...didn't budge.