Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Long block failure on a Volvo D3-110 Amel 54-152

Dana,

Is your new engine an isolated ground engine?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018, 07:55 danderson10@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Porter,

I purchased Amel 54 #003 last September. On the delivery from Virginia to Maine the D3-110 died.  We were chugging along for 12 hours or so and then 'screech', stop. There was no coughing, sputtering, smoke or anything else. No error messages...dead.

The next sign of trouble was when the yard suspected the timing belt slipped. They didn't really have much enthusiasm to work on it as they were totally unfamiliar with the D3.

After a lot of research I have decided to replace the D3 with a Beta 85, which is an industrial Kubota engine that has been marinized. There is no high pressure common rail, no ECU, no sensors, no computer required for troubleshooting and no timing belt. This is the largest 'old school' engine I could get from Beta that would be legal. In other words, they have to bring the power down to be able to meet emission standards (US). Nanni has a 115 that is old school that they would be happy to sell me but for various reasons I went with the Beta.

I am not suggesting you need to repower, I was in a unique position to make the decision in my home port and have a couple of years until I start cruising. Also, I'll mention that the previous owner had just finished a circumnavigation. It looked like the engine room had been thoroughly sprayed with salt water and never cleaned up. In addition to oil and coolant leaks, everything was covered with rust and corrosion. I ripped everything out including the engine, generator, water maker, lots of wiring, hot water heater, etc. Thus began a major refit which is still in progress.

PS: Don't forget to change your timing belt at the suggested intervals. I think its every 600 hours. Mine was way overdue.  Also interesting to note that this was the second D3 installed in this boat.

Best,
Dana Anderson
Amel 54 #003  'Pathfinder'