Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: SM Running Rigging

Patrick McAneny

Eric, Paul just caught that oversight on my part.
Thanks,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: eric kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Thu, Aug 16, 2018 3:26 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: SM Running Rigging

Pat,
I am not on the boat however i believe the main outhaul should have one eye splice.
Otherwise the line can not be threaded through the brackets on the port side of the boom.
Eric
Sm376 Kimberlite

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 01:37 PM, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

I thought I would pass this along. I just ordered from West  Marine ,New England V100 Vectran double braid 12mm for $2.75/ft. That is 50% off there normal price of $5.59. So it was a good time to replace the outhaul , having two eyes spliced in ,didn't ask about price on that.
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
From: greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Thu, Aug 9, 2018 9:30 pm
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: SM Running Rigging

Miles,

For any of the main outhaul, traveler or jib car control lines Kevlar, Spectra or Vectran core line is essential. Stretch is the enemy of performance in this application.

I tried 10mm OD Kelvar core line and found it insufficient for the use on the Andersen line tender drum. It consistently slipped under load. 12mm kevlar core works fine.  It doesn't surprise me since Andersen specifies that these drums are to be used only with 12 mm line.

I can only say what I found on my boat.  If 10mm OD Kevlar core line works for you, or has some advantages over the larger line that I do not understand, then do not let me talk you out of it. It is entirely possible that I missed some vital setup detail that would have made 10mm line work. 

I adjust the position of the traveler and outhaul quite a bit when sailing.  Having the control line slip when trying t o pull the traveler to windward is a real pain in the neck.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.