Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Anchor Chain twisted in the locker after using some times

Hi Ruedi,

I have heard it said that the twisting of an anchor chain is sometimes a feature of a vertical windlass , now more widely fitted on all  yachts ,as opposed to the horizontal windlass such as the Lofrans  found on the SM and  earlier Amels. The vertical windlass involves two directional changes in the chain before it reaches the locker, the horizontal windlass only one. I only have experience of the earlier type so I have no personal experience to know if this is true.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece

From: amelyachtowners@... on behalf of Rudolf@... [amelyachtowners] Sent: 17 August 2018 11:01:09
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Anchor Chain twisted in the locker after using some times

Dear Amelias

On my Amel-54 I have original setup, as I think (Buegel-Anchor, WASI Powerball, Lewmar Windlass V4/V5).

I found a strange behavior of the anchor-chain which is after 8-10 Anchor maneuvers very badly twisted in the chain locker. It happened that when I need to draw more chain (let say over 40m) the chain is blocking in the windlass, because of this heavy twist in the locker. From time to time I take out the 100m chain and un-twist to avoid blockage, but still then after maybe 50-60m the twist coms back after short usage.

Anchor chain 10mm Stainless-Steel (brand unknown) was replaced by former owner 2 years ago. The gypsy looks good, used but not damaged (I have not much experience how it must look like ;-) The V4/5 Gypsy No.203 (10mm) is correct. The chain works well in the windlass (also Swivel), and it seems all is matching.

I ask you experienced guys who may had the similar problem, or who could know the cause of the twisted chain?

- Is the gypsy of the windlass defect or over-used to much?

- Is the Stainless-Steel chain of a bad quality?

- Could the chain twist if it is not 100% match, it seems to match, but ??

- Any other idea for this strange behavior?

Thanks for advice and best regards

Ruedi

WASABI

A54-#55