Von: <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of "Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Antworten an: <amelyachtowners@...>
Datum: Freitag, 17. August 2018 um 15:46
An: <amelyachtowners@...>
Betreff: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Anchor Chain twisted in the locker after using some times

Ruedi,

Your Amel should have a Wasi Power Ball swivel at the connection between the chain and anchor. Does it?

Also, 10mm chain and gypsies come in 2 different sized links, called pitch. Carefully measure the long inside dimension of several links. Then inspect the gypsy for all markings. Let me know what you find.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018, 06:01 Rudolf@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dear Amelias

On my Amel-54 I have original setup, as I think (Buegel-Anchor, WASI Powerball, Lewmar Windlass V4/V5).

I found a strange behavior of the anchor-chain which is after 8-10 Anchor maneuvers very badly twisted in the chain locker. It happened that when I need to draw more chain (let say over 40m) the chain is blocking in the windlass, because of this heavy twist in the locker. From time to time I take out the 100m chain and un-twist to avoid blockage, but still then after maybe 50-60m the twist coms back after short usage.

Anchor chain 10mm Stainless-Steel (brand unknown) was replaced by former owner 2 years ago. The gypsy looks good, used but not damaged (I have not much experience how it must look like ;-) The V4/5 Gypsy No.203 (10mm) is correct. The chain works well in the windlass (also Swivel), and it seems all is matching.

I ask you experienced guys who may had the similar problem, or who could know the cause of the twisted chain?

- Is the gypsy of the windlass defect or over-used to much?

- Is the Stainless-Steel chain of a bad quality?

- Could the chain twist if it is not 100% match, it seems to match, but ??

- Any other idea for this strange behavior?

Thanks for advice and best regards

Ruedi

WASABI

A54-#55