Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] US entry

dlm48@...

Have fun calling the US embassy it is a premium rate call at extortionate rates and i dont think you will get chapter and verse in writing on for your intended voyage from Cuba to the US.

Getting chapter and verse from these people is almost impossible i have been trying for three years now to get clarification on the green visa waver tear off ticket and the white visa tear off ticket that you retain in your passport. Simple question really - do you retain that until you are exiting the US on the last leg of your journey on your way home to the UK - the visa waver is valid for 90 days the visa one for 6 months -  IF part of your travel will be hoping in and out of the US regularly in this trip - some say yes and some expect you to give it up as you exit the US on the first leg of your trip.  We tend to transit into the VI's via the USA and so do most of the people who come sailing with us - they tend not to have the 10 year US visa whereas we do.  It is a nightmare really - not a big thing though - but i expect 'rules' to be understood and applied in a consistent manner - that is far from the case with both the visa and visa waver tear off portions in our experience since 9/11 - pre 9/11 you just kept it till it expired and / or handed it back as you were returning home.

All you need is a std 10 year visa  and the best place to get that in the UK is Belfast - have a wee midweek break in Be
lfast - though being in London you have a big advantage in that you are able to meet their appointment dates without having to travel.

INFO and LINKS

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/rctour.html

Currently, many British citizens traveling on a valid, individual
machine readable passport, with a return or onward ticket, and who are
staying for less than 90 days, qualify for the Visa Waiver Program. There are conditions, so please review the information concerning visa free travel on the American Embassy London Nonimmigrant Visas Services Home Page.

Nonimmigrant Visas

The following provides information on visa requirements for
travelers to the United States who wish to visit, work or study for a
temporary period. The type of visa required will depend on the purpose
of your travel. Many travelers seeking to enter the U.S. for business
or tourism for less than 90 days will be eligible to travel to the
United States visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.

Method of Application

With limited exceptions,
nonimmigrant visa applicants aged 14 to 79 are required to schedule an
appointment for an interview with a U.S. consular officer. Interviews
are by appointment only. The Embassy does not accept walk-in applications.

Processing Times

The average visa processing time for successful applicants is five
business days, during which time the applicant's passport must remain
with the Embassy. Applicants who are advised at the visa interview that
their application requires additional processing=2
0should allow at least
8 weeks for this stage of the application process. Once processing is
completed, the applicant will be contacted for the passport. A further
four weeks should be allowed for the visa to be issued and the passport
returned.

Applicants who are advised at the time of
their interview that action on their application has been suspended
under Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act should
allow a minimum of 10 - 15 business days for their application to be
processed once they submit the missing documents to the Embassy.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/forms/visaforms.html

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/electronic.html

Electronic Visa Application Form

The visa application form DS-156 must be filled out on-line. Complete
this form ahead of time. If you experience problems in accessing this
form and are unable to complete it by the date of the interview, your
appointment will be canceled and you will be required to reschedule
for another day.

Failure to complete the 2D bar coded form will delay your application for a visa.

Do not complete blank or unprocessed data input forms by hand.
Unprocessed data input pages or data input pages completed by hand will
not be accepted.

The information that you submit is not stored anywhere. It is also
not submitted to the Embassy electronically. It is only used to
generate a barcode.

What you Need

To use the electronic visa application form, your Internet browser
must sup
port 128-bit encryption and you should use either an ink-jet or
laser printer to print the completed application form. If you are using
Internet Explorer (Windows), the minimum version that will work with
this site is version 5.0, with service pack 2. If you are using
Netscape, the minimum version that will work with this site is version
6.2. You must also have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC in
order to download and print the completed application form. The minimum
version that will work with this site is version 5. If you do not have
Adobe Acrobat, you may download a copy from Adobe’s web site.

Depending on the speed of your Internet
connection, it may take several minutes to download the initial and
completed copies of the form. Please be patient.

Instructions for completing the electronic DS-156

Complete the form on-line by filling in the applicable data fields.
Fill in the form as completely as possible leaving blank only those fields
that do not apply in your case. If a field is completed incorrectly, a message
will advise you on who to correct the entry.

Review the information you have entered for accuracy.

Press the Continue button at the end of the form and wait while the
system processes your data and transfers it to a 3 page DS-156 form with
a special bar code on page 3. Failure to click on the Continue button
will result in an incorrectly formatted application form.

Print the form after it is returned=2
0to you and date and sign it.

The barcode that prints on the 3rd page contains the information you
entered and will help us process your application more quickly.

Pages 1, 2 and 3 with the 2-D bar must be furnished when applying for the visa.

The electronic form DS-156.

Do not complete blank or unprocessed data input forms by hand.
Unprocessed data input pages or data input pages completed by hand will
not be accepted.

have fun

kindest regards

David

From: dlm48@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:25:14 -0400
I think that is a dumb idea - probably one of the dumbest ideas i have seen on this group.? Why would you tell lies about your last port of call - get caught out doing that and the shit could really start to hit the fan - lets just imagine that the US and other authorities have been watching and monitoring your progress from Cuba to Florida.? Remember the Caribbean into FL is on one of the main drug routes so this is not as unlikely as it would first appear - and then you try and say you were not there.? This is one sure way to get your boat taken apart piece by piece until they dont find what you were not hiding - or get the boat impounded and sold off at auction There was some clown who tried to smuggle in a fair number of Cuban cigars to another Caribbean country.? In fact all he did was just not declare them on board - so he was assumed to be a smuggler - he ended up in jail and lost his boat - dont mess with the authorities be nice friendly totally up front and totally legal.
regards
David