Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Maramu pole setup

Ian,

Good Stuff...and add this:
If you bring the pole in, hook it on the inside of the rail and use a loop of the red line (aft guy) to tie it to the rail without uncleating either end.

Also, you should permanently use some small line "whipped" around the lifle rail where the pole touches.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 12:32 PM Ian parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Great explanation. First advice I got, and which we still do, is to leave the pole end just below the rail height. Also cushion the rail either with a fender (bumper) or cockpit cushion. Just occasionally the pole push may not take the pole out far enough to haul in on the blue line (especially if the boat rolls the wrong way at the wrong time). Then it swings back inboard with some force. Trying to catch it can be hazardous.
Same applies when bringing the pole back in when you’re done.
We don’t have much problem now with several ‘launch and retrieval’s’ behind us, but still do everything at rail level.
Would recommend keeping the big pole at a ‘safe’ height for the first few launches, then decide for yourselves. For us, Linda (not very big) launches and catches while I do the hauling and inward control.
P.S.
I find when the pole is due to come back in I can stand by the universal joint and put one hand on the inward end of the long pole to slow it down long before the outward end gets within range of the retriever’s reach..
Hope this all makes sense!
Good luck - it’s an amazing system!

Ian and Linda
Ocean Hobo SN96