Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Long block failure on a Volvo D3-110 Amel 54-152

Porter McRoberts

Thanks Thomas

I really hope so. I hope you’re right and think you probably are. However i am a skeptical believer. In nearly everything.

Thank you for the hack on the codes! I will try it for certain.
I appreciate your help as always.
My best to you guys

Porter
A54-152

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Aug 17, 2018, at 10:21 AM, 'S/V Garulfo' svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Porter,

If I remember correctly what I was told, you can get the fault codes by holding the rotokey button down for five seconds until it beeps. Then choose the default in the list and press the button again to see the code. Those codes then can then be looked up the workshop manual.

I haven’t had the misfortune of checking that methodology, so it might be bogus, but hopefully it helps.

Also, I would be very very surprised if you got charged by Volvo Martinique for a long block you didn’t get. They enjoy a stellar reputation as the best Volvo workshop in the Caribbean/ South America (ok, maybe the competition isn’t hard) and I can’t imagine they would compromise that for 16k euros.

Hope things will be ok

Best

Thomas
away from
GARULFO
A54-122
Curacao

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 at 16:41, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank you Danny . Good to know.

Teun was very helpful. He’s down on this model of D3 and got a new/different one. Smart man. The warranty for us only covers a new long block. Which seems realistic. I also have tones of spares for this engine. Etc. Getting CDM to understand an electrically isolated engine Pyle prove incredibly difficult.
Surprisingly Panama might as well be Somalia in terms of good reliable Volvo work. Rest of the country splendid.

Some have expressed suspicion that the long block was never actually changed. It’s mine too. Today I’m going to do some forensics.

We work so hard to make sure everything is perfect. It’s frustrating to have rely on a system that seems so error prone, and over which we have so little control.

One of the things I really need to learn is how to get the fault codes out of the helm display.

Had I that, at the beginning, we’d be so much further along in this process. We’re 2.5 months here in Panama with the engine.

But as my Guru says, “slow down enjoy the trip”. Bill R and Marcus Aurelius to the rescue.

I’d love a mechanical engine.

Thanks for all the comments from everyone

Porter
A54-152. Ibis.
Vista Mar Marina, Panama

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Aug 15, 2018, at 1:33 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Porter,

Like everyone I feel for you. Some thoughts. Unless something like salt water ingress  happens and oil and filters are changed regularly diesel engines, mechanically are good for very high hours, 4000 ordinary, 8000, not unusual. You had all the mechanical parts renewed with the long block. I guess not all the wiring looms (which are considerable) nor the operational computer systems. That's where I would be looking. Teun Bass in Noumea has a similar story to tell and he may have something to offer.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 16 August 2018 at 01:50 "Trifin trifin@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Porter, I think your maintenance regime for the engine looks just fine. It must be very frustrating to have this problem happening again.

I’m not clear on exactly what is the cause of the problem, but then I’m no diesel mechanic! Has that been clearly laid out by Volvo to your satisfaction?

That tell-tale puff of smoke is interesting, which I guess tells of oil ending up where it shouldn’t be and then burning off. I wonder if you can share a few more details about the exact circumstances around when it puffs… does it happen once, only under load, in neutral, idling and then gunning quickly etc. That would allow others to test and report comparisons.

I have the same D3–110i-C model and the Amel specified autoprop. My WOT is 2950-3000rpm.

I hope for a satisfactory resolution for you, it inspires no confidence in your planned travels when things like this happen.

Cheers Dean SY Stella Amel 54 #154