Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Improvements to the Amel design.

Nick,

In 1985 solar and LED were not proven nor practical. Today Amels come with LED. I am not sure Henri would have used any of the solar solutions I have seen. I believe his objections would have been to either appearance, or to structure. And, like many things, if Henri was with us today, he may have done something with solar that no other builder has done yet.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018, 16:41 Nick ngtnewington@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

So Bill what about solar power and LED lighting? Henri Amel never embraced either.

Nick

Amelia (54) in the Canary Islands.
Enjoying not being a slave to the batteries.

On 18 Aug 2018, at 16:41, Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Arthur,

Amel has used the German-made stainless steel Wasi PowerBall swivel for many years on ALL galvanized or stainless steel chain, with almost all installed on stainless steel anchors. PowerBall isn't really like any swivel made by others. For more information, Google it.

BTW, like it or not, I am the self-appointed guy that reminds all of us to respect Captain Amel's decisions. And, when I am evaluating an Amel for prospective buyer/client, I look for all indications of any disrespect of the Captain's design decisions. I am not sure what the actual number is, but I believe that the Captain was 99% correct. Of course, that is my opinion and I understand that it could be argued.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018, 10:22 greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Arthur,

We do use a swivel... but not for the reasons that most people do..

With a proper anchor roller and gypsy we have never found twisting of chain to be a significant issue.  Especially in deep water, once the anchor is off the bottom, there is a lot of time for the twist to work its way out as the anchor comes up.  Other people have had more trouble with twist--and some think a swivel helps, others do not...

We use the Mantus Swivel (Mantus Anchor Website) only because its design gives us a stronger connection between the chain and anchor than you can get with a standard shackle.

In general I am not a fan of swivels, they can be a serious weak point in the overall system, but these I have enough confidence in to actually use.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

You experienced sailors of the Pacific and Carribian. How long is your anchorchain??? Do you use a swivel?
Fair winds
Arthur
Vista. SM 435

Skickat från min iPhone