Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Improvements to the Amel design.

ngtnewington Newington

Fellow Amel owners,

Don’t get me wrong. I love my 54 and think she is a great boat well engineered, and well built, which is why I own her.

I completely agree with Bill’s general philosophy.

One should think twice before adding or removing equipment, for example I feel that I do not need the dishwasher and would rather use that bit of prime real estate for something else. However I have left it for now.
What is also true is that older boats tend to have horrible wiring as various owners have added and changed things. So I completely agree that one needs to be very very careful adding equipment.

But at the same time one needs to keep up with what is available. Amelia was built in 2006 the same year I bought my last boat. The first thing I did to that boat was install a big 24v alternator and LED lighting. The LED technology was well tested then. Amel did not start installing LED until much later. It is hardly a criticism. Only a few bulbs.
There are some areas of the Amel that are in my view due for criticism; for example
1. the use of mild steel that is glassed into the bullwork. Shame it is not stainless!
2. Iron not lead keels.
3. Battery isolation handles that do not actually isolate the batteries completely.

No boat is perfect.

I do not blame Amel for using hi tech Volvos I blame the regulatory framework that forces the emissions targets that require complex engines, sensors everywhere. Not what you want in Pategonia!

I think we are all singing from the same hymn sheet; Amels are great cruising boats and it is a privilege to own one, and one must think twice before improving what is already very good....

Nick
(anchored Canary Islands surrounded by Jet skis wondering why I left the Azores)

On 19 Aug 2018, at 13:55, Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Nick,

In 1985 solar and LED were not proven nor practical. Today Amels come with LED. I am not sure Henri would have used any of the solar solutions I have seen. I believe his objections would have been to either appearance, or to structure. And, like many things, if Henri was with us today, he may have done something with solar that no other builder has done yet.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018, 16:41 Nick ngtnewington@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

So Bill what about solar power and LED lighting? Henri Amel never embraced either.

Nick

Amelia (54) in the Canary Islands.
Enjoying not being a slave to the batteries.

On 18 Aug 2018, at 16:41, Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Arthur,

Amel has used the German-made stainless steel Wasi PowerBall swivel for many years on ALL galvanized or stainless steel chain, with almost all installed on stainless steel anchors. PowerBall isn't really like any swivel made by others. For more information, Google it.

BTW, like it or not, I am the self-appointed guy that reminds all of us to respect Captain Amel's decisions. And, when I am evaluating an Amel for prospective buyer/client, I look for all indications of any disrespect of the Captain's design decisions. I am not sure what the actual number is, but I believe that the Captain was 99% correct. Of course, that is my opinion and I understand that it could be argued.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018, 10:22 greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Arthur,

We do use a swivel... but not for the reasons that most people do..

With a proper anchor roller and gypsy we have never found twisting of chain to be a significant issue.  Especially in deep water, once the anchor is off the bottom, there is a lot of time for the twist to work its way out as the anchor comes up.  Other people have had more trouble with twist--and some think a swivel helps, others do not...

We use the Mantus Swivel (Mantus Anchor Website) only because its design gives us a stronger connection between the chain and anchor than you can get with a standard shackle.

In general I am not a fan of swivels, they can be a serious weak point in the overall system, but these I have enough confidence in to actually use.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

You experienced sailors of the Pacific and Carribian. How long is your anchorchain??? Do you use a swivel?
Fair winds
Arthur
Vista. SM 435

Skickat från min iPhone