Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Long block failure on a Volvo D3-110 Amel 54-152

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi dean. Ive operated diesels all my life. Most not vommon rail l acknowledge. However believe I can offer something here. Overloaded diesels smoke. The throttle opening delivers more fuel than can burn at the present revolutions. The modern computer controlled systems eliminate this mostly. However, if you slam the throttle down with the prop shaft stationary there is a moment of super overload intil it gets moving,hence your  puff of smoke.

I don't think you have an issue here.

Regards

Danny

SM299

Ocean pearl

On 18 August 2018 at 21:50 "trifin@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Porter,
I’ve done your smoke test.
Yes, under the rapid throttle action, a puff of black smoke comes from our Volvo exhaust exactly as you describe. Not confidence inspiring! Hmmm.

I look forward to seeing other owners results of this quick test.

Dean
SY Stella
Amel 54#154