Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Raymarine ACU 400 AP

SV Perigee

Hi Paul,

We recently installed the RM EVO-400, installing also a new Linear Drive (servicing the old one and keeping it for spares).

Like you, we were happy with the performance of the old unit.  I also preferred the way of directly adjusting sensitivity on the old A/P.  For the new EVO-400, I dislike that you need to be in STBY to adjust anything in the lower menus.

I have not made any adjustments to the A/P settings - it is still configured with the default settings as it came "out of the box" - I set it to "slow sail boat" during the initial config process.  We have not quite 1,000nm on the unit, about 500nm of which was downwind, during which seas to 2.5-3m, confused; wind to 22kts, 155-175º apparent.  Genoa poled out (couldn't fly the Ballooner because of a broken up-lock.)

I do not see any big differences between the 'Performance' and other settings.  Just a slightly quicker response, and closer track/heading keeping.  I haven't seen the need to adjust the various parameters such as rudder damping, or response speeds.   So
I haven't (yet) done a deep study of the finer points of adjusting the A/P settings.

Regarding the performance of the new unit: so far, all OK, with none of the control problems you report.

I will have a look at my set-up parameters, and provide a report back on these.

We are hoping that you can get your A/P working as it should.  I think one needs to be able to trust the A/P completely.
Best,

David & Leanne
Perigee SM#396
Curaçao

On Wednesday, 22 August 2018, 19:15, "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Hello!
I have installed the Raymarine ACU 400 Auto Pilot together with new Raymarine instruments, I use my old Autohelm AP electronics as back up. I kept the old drive units, so only the electronic part is new.
I did expect better performance from the new system even though I was rather happy with the old system.
The new system works OK going up wind can't say it is better than the old system.
The problem is down wind the new is inferior to the old system. I assume it is a trimming but it is rather awkward to adjust as one need waves and high wind but if you have that you can't have the AP in Auto but it must be in stand by to adjust settings that are rather fare down the menu, not very user friendly.
When going down wind the course is not very straight on the contrary one has to gard it very carefully and sometimes take over and do manual steering, which i have not needed to do with the old electronics, with the old we have sailed down wind with 40 knots apparent wind so true has been close to 48 knots and the course has been rather stable. even with rather large sea.
Now we have problem when wind approaching 20 knots and waves less than 2 meters.
The setting we have is
Hard over time 16,5s
Rudder damping 2
Display response 5 for speed and wind, do not now if that influence the AP performance , can't say I'm impressed of the manual who cover tree different AP .
can't say it's a big difference when using Performance, Cruising or Leisure settings for Response level
Anyone having this system on an Super Maramu, what are your settings? How does it perform for you?
Any advice how to trim the system?
Paul on SY Kerpa AM#259