Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Helm Seat

Pat,

All I am saying is, until you experience the security of that helm seat design in heavy conditions, I believe you would not change it. I believe that after you experience those conditions, your understanding of the design will change.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Any opinions and conclusions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and should not be construed as representing the opinion of an expert. Manufacturers' and Expert's precautions must be considered when dealing with mechanical and/or electrical systems to ensure that you are NOT harmed, and/or the device and/or system is NOT ruined. If in doubt, do not touch any mechanical and/or electrical device or system referred to above.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 8:38 AM Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill, I would install a metal backing plate under the deck , so structurally I am not too concerned. It is that the tube is sleeved (allowing for height adjustment)and attachment points under the seat may combine to allow a degree of movement that concerns me. My seat now only has a slight curvature built in for adjusting to heel ,you may have the same seat. The chair I am looking at has side bolsters that mimics that somewhat. Since we are generally on auto pilot , I could swivel the seat seat towards windward and have a 15 degree recline,might be pretty comfortable while still be able to monitor gauges. My main concern is that it may look a bit big and movement,that would bother me.

Thanks,
Pat
SM123

-----Original Message-----
From: greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Thu, Aug 23, 2018 9:01 am
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Helm Seat

Pat,

The concern I’d have about sitting in a typical pedestal seat is not rough seas, but rather heeling. There are many very comfortable helm seat built for high end motor yachts, but they all assume that the boat is basically flat. I have not yet seen a pedestal seat I’d want to sit in when heeled at 15 degrees.

The other issue around a pedestal is structural. The deck in that area might need strengthening to support a single point of attachment of a pedestal. Note for example, the way the nav station seat pedestal is built into the boat.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.