Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Helm Seat

greatketch@...

Pat,

I am pretty sure we have very similar seats.  Of course, we all use our boats differently.  Most of the time when we are on passage, I don't use the helmseat, but prefer lounging further back in the cockpit were there is better back support, and places to put my feet up.  If the helm seat was my go-to spot I might be looking for something to make it more comfortable.

I did something similar, but less radical, at the nav station.  Our boat had a simple, flat, bar-stool seat there.  I found myself sliding off backwards when heeled on starboard tack.

We swapped out for a seat that was similar, except for a stainless rail as a low back rest that works great keeping my butt in place. It also gives us an extra handhold at a critical place in the cabin.  It had the additional advantage that it raised me 3 inches higher--enough I can actually type at the navstation.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA