Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Helm Seat

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Pat,

I regard the SM helm seat as a great design and a vital safety item. I have a lot of ocean miles behind me and in the vigorous seaways we encounter out there its fixed place stability is a huge safety factor. I would never have a swiveling seat. In big rough seas, oh boy. Likewise, even more so the tube up the sides and across the back. When you are moving around the cockpit in rough conditions it is a fantastic "grab when I'm off balance" hand hold. Moving around the cockpit in a seaway I am using that hand hold all the time. Bad accidents on yachts at sea are often caused by falls.As we age our bones become brittle and our balance less. Henri gave us hand holds every where for good reason. Swiveling padded comfort seats are for the marina and harbour set. Not for serious off shore.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 24 August 2018 at 01:19 "Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Pat,

You know what I am going to say...yada, yada, don't change it because...yada, yada.

But, FYI, Judy and I sat in that seat in a cyclone in the middle of the IO. It is perfect! Don't change it.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Any opinions and conclusions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and should not be construed as representing the opinion of an expert. Manufacturers' and Expert's precautions must be considered when dealing with mechanical and/or electrical systems to ensure that you are NOT harmed, and/or the device and/or system is NOT ruined. If in doubt, do not touch any mechanical and/or electrical device or system  referred to  above.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 8:01 AM greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] < amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Pat,

The concern I’d have about sitting in a typical pedestal seat is not rough seas, but rather heeling. There are many very comfortable helm seat built for high end motor yachts, but they all assume that the boat is basically flat. I have not yet seen a pedestal seat I’d want to sit in when heeled at 15 degrees.

The other issue around a pedestal is structural. The deck in that area might need strengthening to support a single point of attachment of a pedestal. Note for example, the way the nav station seat pedestal is built into the boat.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA