Von: <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of "'S/V Garulfo' svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Antworten an: <amelyachtowners@...>
Datum: Mittwoch, 22. August 2018 um 21:24
An: <amelyachtowners@...>
Betreff: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Long block failure on a Volvo D3-110 Amel 54-152

That’s a great article, Bill, thanks for sharing.

It’s good to see Nigel opening the debate about what needs to happen to adress the issues of modern engines in marine environments. It seems to point towards fuel quality. The corollary being inadaquate onboard filtering.
I wonder what it means for fuel additives and their adequacy for our problems. Naively I would think that any product that dissolves contaminants simply makes them smaller so potentially riskier for high pressure common rail injectors (ie pass through filters but still too big for injectors)?

Another topic is the established advice that a diesel engine enjoys being run at 80%, and failing that, at least push it hard from time to time. How much of this is still relevant to modern engines with better fuel efficiency (so less residue at low regime I presume) and variable geometry turbos?

I don’t have the first clue about those questions but i would like to understand what bits of the marine diesel knowledge base apply to our modern engines.

Best,

Thomas
soon back onboard
GARULFO
A54-122
Curaçao

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 at 04:07, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

There was a good article on the worrisome trend in the design of small marine diesels in Yachting Monthly last year.

I am beginning to wonder if we have almost seen the end of diesels that reliably run for more than 10,000 hours.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA