Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Watermaker and transmission fluid

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Alan

I know from my former Boat's Watermaker. After using a while it helped the performance a lot by cleaning from time to time with extra cleaning cartridges.

What I know; Freshwater under pressure destroys the membranes as well as fresh water with chlorine inside. In some marinas you only get this. Thats why I always use carbon filter to fill up tank with drinking water. I'm not filling non drinking-water or somehow contaminated I'm not knowing.

You need freshwater after using to rinse/flush the salt-water out. Reason is that sea water is fouling much faster than fresh water because there is much more organic stuff in it. When you use the Membranes daily there would be no real need for flushing all time, because time until re-use will not allow for much growth inside.

Btw: You can manually flush the system as long as you like by turning the 3way valve in the engine room to fresh water supply.

Cheers
Ruedi
WASABI
A-54, #55

On 24 Aug 2018, at 02:59, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I'm now not so sure about this fresh water business.

In the Dessalator Duo 60 manual  it says:

Remember: The biggest enemy of the membranes is fresh water.

Fresh water should be always used with no pressure when going through the system
(pressure dial turned all the way anti clockwise) and the system should always run with no
pressure after a fresh water flush to dump all the fresh water that are in it, before making
freshwater from sea water (also with the pressure dial all the way anti clockwise).
When running the watermaker with the dial all the way anti clockwise, it will shut it self
down automatically after 1 minute. Only then, the watermaker is ready for use.

I have the Filmtec Membrane Technical Manual and I can find no discussion of this at all anywhere.

In fact a number of systems are illustrated that
1. Treat Brackish water
2. RO the RO water (double RO) to make ultrapure water.

So I don;t know where this freshwater enemy story comes from......nothing on a Google search.

If it really was a problem I would think Filmtec would warn about it.

Alan
Elyse SM437