Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Anchor chain

greatketch@...

Chain standards are so....  un-standard!

Chaineries Limosines claims (and I believe them) that their "Force 7" brand chain is 25% stronger than industry standard G70.  Good for them...

I see in the Chaineries Limosines catalog two different values for G32 chain, (Chaines cable standard (Norme Grade 32))  5100kg (Industry standard)  and 6400kg (for their "CLi special" grade).  Pretty much what I'd expect.  Their "CLi" grade chain is stronger than industry standard G30, and weaker than industry standard G40.

I could find no rupture testing numbers for G40...

No matter... the take away story is to always check the manufacturer's actual test data for the exact grade you are buying whatever brand chain you choose and be sure you actually get what you are expecting and that you are comparing exactly what you think you are comparing.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <mark_pitt@...> wrote :

I recently purchased the G70 chain from Chaineries Limosines, Amel’s provider.  Their catalog gives a rupture strength of 6400 kg for the G40 and 11200 kg for the G70.  That is a 75 percent higher value for the G70.

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, SM419
Lanzarote, Canary Islands

On Aug 27, 2018, at 8:08 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

A small correction:  The difference in strength between galvanized G40 and G70 is not anywhere near a factor of 2, it  is actually more like 20%.  G70 chain is, however, roughly 2X as strong as G30 ("BBB"), so that might be where that number comes from.

According to the data I have, the specified breaking strength for G40 is 16,200 lbs, while for G70 it is 19,800.  Working Load Limits (WLL) is usually specified for these kinds of alloy chains as 1/3 the breaking strength.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA