Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Salty Dog Rally

James Cromie <jamescromie@...>

I did my first SDR from Martinique to Newport this last May.  It was an interesting rally for me because I never once saw another rally goer from start to finish, and only communicated with one other boat by satellite phone who I knew from Martinique.  The benefit of the rally was simply having access to Chris Parker, as well as seeing where the other boats were going on the map.  Otherwise, it was though I was doing it on my own.  I didn’t partake in any of the pre-rally activities because I left from a different port.

By the way, not to be competitve, but I did like seeing that I was covering more miles per day than most other boats in the rally!  Amels seem to be rather fast for their class.

James
SV Soteria
SM 347

On Aug 28, 2018, at 4:58 PM, gary@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I've done 2 Salty Dawg rallies (one each way) and 4 ARC rallies.

I like the fun of it, the comaraderie , the tiny bit of competition, the weather routing, and the help with check-ins at new destinations. Additionally, there are some genuinely informative and educational seminars that occur prior to the rally itself.

And yes, you ~must~ retain your Captain's hat squarely in place and make your own departure an routing decisions.

With ARC, they've delayed two rallies out of the four we've taken to get better weather.

ARC is much stricter with qualifying crossings and equipment requirements and they cost more being a for-profit business.

I'm looking forward to the ARC to St. Lucia in November. Then we're going with the Salty Dawgs on their Main and Nova Scotia rallies.

I'm looking forward to getting reacquainted with a bunch of people from previous rallies. That, to me, is the real gold of the Rally scene.

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Malta