Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: How much oil and dipstick reading.

When I went to the Yanmar school the instructor said that connecting a hose to the dip-stick tube and pumping will remove the majority of the oil.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018, 00:49 Paul Stascavage pstas2003@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Eric,

I believe we have the same motor and I have experienced the same with the installed pump being incapable of getting out all the old oil.

I pump until nothing comes out, and then add a quart or two of fresh oil. I wait a few minutes for it to drain to the bottom of the pan and pump that out. I repeat the process one more time before adding and topping off the oil. I have found this makes a huge difference in the length of time the oil starts to look dirty. I do the same with the Onan.

I have no idea if it is worth the expense of the extra oil but the way I look at it oil is cheap compared to a new engine and I sleep better.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM 466
Cruising New England