Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: zink anode of the starboard side doesn’t corrode

Olaf Bauer MIA-AMARA at Yahoo <olaf_renos@...>

Hello Bill,

Thanks for this info.

From: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: 02 September 2018 19:02
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: zink anode of the starboard side doesn’t corrode

Olaf,

Possibly this will help you, or, at least make you feel better.

Although I cannot provide any reference for this, I was once told that when a bonding system is connected to more than one anode, the anode depletion be unequal between the anodes and the anode closest to the "load" will deplete first. I believe this to be correct and I have what you describe on many Amels.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School
http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 4:55 PM greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Olaf,

The only reason that one zinc would not corrode as expected is that it is not making proper electrical contact with the bonding system.

When you are hauled out, check for continuity between the problem zinc, and the rudder post in the aft cabin. You will likely find that the connection is broken.

Once you remove the zinc, you might quickly find the problem with the bolt or the zinc.  If the problem is not obvious right there, you'll need to dive deeper into the internal structure of the rudder to find the problem.

Bill Kinney

SM160, Harmonie

Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <olaf_renos@...> wrote :

Hello AMELians,

I found out that the zink anode on starboard side doesn't corrode. What could be the reason? What I have to check?

The zink anode on portside corrode as expected.

Thanks so much in advance

Fair winds

Olaf

S/V Sayonara II, SM2K 392