Re: Amel Insurance Providers

Brent Cameron

Joey, not sure where the 10 digit number comes from but I suspect it is a pre-1997 boat and they've dropped the leading zeros as the SM’s before 1997 seem to have 12 digit serial numbers beginning with 0030017SM followed by the 3 digit hull number so they are pretty easy to construct even if you only know the year and hull number.  As an example, Will Stout’s very pretty hull number 180 was built in 1996 (I chose this because I don’t know of any later 1996’s) and would have a HIN of 0030017SM180.

In 1997, the serial numbers moved to the new format where it begins with AMLSM followed by the three digit hull number followed by a letter indicating the month it was considered to have been built (A = January, B=February, etc) followed by a one digit build year (e.g. 7 for 1997) and a 2 digit model year (e.g. 98 for 1998).  As an example, hull number 317 (the somewhat infamous Yashar/Papa II/Lady Divina) was built in 2000 but was a 2001.  Its HIN is AMLSM317K001.

You really can’t construct those without knowing the HIN unless you happen to know the month and year it was CONSIDERED to have been built in addition to the model year and hull number.  The problem was that Amel changed model years most years in September as the yard was generally off for the French August holidays  but not always (they introduced the new Super Maramu 2000’s in July for instance).  The build month also varies quite a bit from the delivery date as well.  I’ve seen lots of references to the fact that the boat was delivered in one month but it had a build date that was 3-4 months different.   Net is, you'll need to get those off the boat (they seem to have them stamped on the transom somewhere after 1997) unless it was US registered in which case you can find them by doing a search on the yacht name in the Coast Guard Registry database https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html

I've got a chart I use to decode HIN's on the Amel SM's.  (I haven't tried it on other Amel's so don't know if it works on 54's or SN's).

Good luck!

Brent Cameron
(Also future Super Maramu owner)