Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Anchorchain, length

Craig Briggs

Hi Kent,
When we set off back at the turn of the century (2000), Pam Wall, then at West Marine, suggested 12 plait for a supplemental rode, which is far easier to manage than 3-strand.  What a great suggestion it turned out to be - you can just flake it into the bow locker and it never tangles or forms hockles. Ours is 3/4" which would probably do just fine for your SM at 21K lbs breaking strength. Far better than 3-strand. Easy to do a chain-to-rope splice, too.
C U in St Michaels next month!
Cheers, Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <karkauai@...> wrote :

I have100m which has been more than enough for the East Coast USA and Caribbean.  Once in the S Pacific will be routinely anchoring in 35-45m.  You can’t put enough chain for that in your bow locker, too heavy.  I will add another 80m of one inch nylon three-strand for those deep anchorage’s, assuming I can make a rode-to-chain splice that will go through the hawsepipe.  If it won’t,  I’ll try 7/8” nylon rode, but don’t think I’d be comfortable with anything less than that.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Sep 6, 2018, at 11:22 AM, Arthur Sundqvist arthur@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

What is the best length for the standard anchor chain 10mm ISO for the Super Maramu?

Is 125m ok or is that to much???
And swivel or no swivel??

arthur
SM 435  Vista