Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Anchorchain, length

Arthur Sundqvist

Tack. Ann-Sofie!
Vad betyder couple Chain  hur ser den ut?
Med vänlig hälsning,
Arthur

Skickat från min iPhone

9 sep. 2018 kl. 10:47 skrev Ann-Sofie Svanberg kanalmamman@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

After seeing so many boats, not Amels, having big issues with the connection between chain and rope, we would never add rope to the chain. The splice will probably have problems coming through the hole to the anchor box. And if you don't use it it will lay in the bottom of the chain locker getting damp and wet and will,probably not have the brake load you expect.

Arthur, we changed from 75 to 100 m of chain and are very satisfied with that. It has so far, The Med and Carribbean, been enough. When we empited the boat two years ago and last year sailed Portugal-Greece back and return, we realized that we have had far to much load in the front. The boat behaved much better in the waves with less weight in the front.
Swivel, yes! But you must have a couple chain links between the anchor and the swivel to avoid that the swivel brakes. The attachement on the swivel works perfect for movements up and down, but will brake with to much load the sides. If you look on the swivel you will understand what I mean.

/Ann-Sofie, S/Y Lady Annila SM232, 1998.

Skickat från min iPad

7 sep. 2018 kl. 21:36 skrev Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Interesting, thanks Craig.  I’ll have to read up on 12 plait.  Hmmm, so you kept it in the bow locker? Not spliced to the chain?  If so, what was your method of switching to rope rode when your chain wasn’t long enough.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Sep 6, 2018, at 11:08 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

When we set off back at the turn of the century (2000), Pam Wall, then at West Marine, suggested 12 plait for a supplemental rode, which is far easier to manage than 3-strand.  What a great suggestion it turned out to be - you can just flake it into the bow locker and it never tangles or forms hockles. Ours is 3/4" which would probably do just fine for your SM at 21K lbs breaking strength. Far better than 3-strand. Easy to do a chain-to-rope splice, too.
C U in St Michaels next month!
Cheers, Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

I have100m which has been more than enough for the East Coast USA and Caribbean.  Once in the S Pacific will be routinely anchoring in 35-45m.  You can’t put enough chain for that in your bow locker, too heavy.  I will add another 80m of one inch nylon three-strand for those deep anchorage’s, assuming I can make a rode-to-chain splice that will go through the hawsepipe.  If it won’t,  I’ll try 7/8” nylon rode, but don’t think I’d be comfortable with anything less than that.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Sep 6, 2018, at 11:22 AM, Arthur Sundqvist arthur@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

What is the best length for the standard anchor chain 10mm ISO for the Super Maramu?

Is 125m ok or is that to much???
And swivel or no swivel??

arthur
SM 435  Vista