Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SSB ground plate access point?

smiles bernard

Thanks for this Mark
I have a powered pre amp. It’s a fax5
I inherited the setup and have been trying to get some signals out of the system

So far nothing and the Signal to Noise ration is hovering around 10 which I presume is the issue.

The pre amp takes power from the fax 30 and the manual does say it needs grounding. Interestingly the main fax30 unit is grounded too and has a specific cable connection for this.

It does seem odd though as before I’ve just used a small Ssb radio receiver and decided in software on a laptop and my old radio wasn’t grounded.

Thanks for your email - it’s made me consider  the option to try and remove the fax5 completely and stick a wire in the coaxial cable

All the very best

Miles

On 8 Sep 2018, at 21:09, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Miles,

The weatherfax isn’t suppose to be grounded. It is basically a HF receiver. An SSB or HF radio only needs to be grounded when transmitting. You can even receive stuff by putting a wire coat-hanger into the antenna connection.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Bonaire

www.creampuff.us