Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Volvo engine RPM

INUS - BUSCH

On my Sharki I have a sign which is fixed in the cockpit besides the gear lever, saying "under sail engine off never put lever forward" in 3 languages. Besides my boat is from 1986 I think this is an original AMEL sign, and I have the Hurth HBW 250-3 gear.

All the best
Dieter
Fal-lera, Sharki #135

Am Sonntag, 16. September 2018, 15:04:40 MESZ hat 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] Folgendes geschrieben:

“The boat should never be sailed with the transmission in FORWARD.  If the shaft spins, (and this depends on the details of the fitted propeller) it will damage the clutches inside the transmission.”

This is not true for all Amels. I questioned Amel regarding this because our prop would occasionally spin when in reverse and under sail. I was told by Amel, when cutting the engine power leave the transmission in forward gear. When starting the engine, start it when in forward gear. They said to sail with the transmission in forward and not take it out of gear. This has prevented any further prop spin.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Bonaire

www.creampuff.us