Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] model number of CAT pump on watermaker.

Ian and everyone with a CAT pump,

There is a lot of vibration on this pump. Those bolts will become loose because of the vibration from the pump...if they get loose, they will shear.  

Check those bolts periodically...I m not sure how often. Both the Inlet Manifold (2) and the Discharge Manifold (4)
It is a M10 allen head bolt that takes a M8 Allen wrench. They should be torqued to 18 foot lbs. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Any opinions and conclusions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and should not be construed as representing the opinion of an expert. Manufacturers' and Expert's precautions must be considered when dealing with mechanical and/or electrical systems to ensure that you are NOT harmed, and/or the device and/or system is NOT ruined. If in doubt, do not touch any mechanical and/or electrical device or system referred to above.

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 1:22 PM Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Eric,

it is indeed a model 277. Here is the Dessalator reference, but I know it will me much cheaper in the US.  Complete pump head TET_POMPCAT277_COMP
1 Piece 1 290,65 1 290,65 20,0

I just had mine fail when the heads of two of the four bolts that hold the pump head to the body sheared off. That's stainless for you. When I queried Dessalator about it they blamed it on the vibration of the ship!! My unit had 903 hours on it.

I would strongly advise that these bolts are changed every 700 hours to avoid the expense of a pump rebuild or replacement.

There is a number on the pump body that I can get you tomorrow if you wish.

Cheers

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Leros Greece

On 21/09/2018 05:58, eric kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Does anyone know the model number of the Cat pump on the 160 lph watermaker?
It was suggested it is model 277.
Fair Winds,
eric
SM 376 Kimberlite

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.