Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] model number of CAT pump on watermaker.

Ian and everyone with a CAT pump,

There is a lot of vibration on this pump. Those bolts will become loose because of the vibration from the pump...if they get loose, they will shear.

Check those bolts periodically...I m not sure how often. Both the Inlet Manifold (2) and the Discharge Manifold (4)
It is a M10 allen head bolt that takes a M8 Allen wrench. They should be torqued to 18 foot lbs.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 1:22 PM Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Eric,

it is indeed a model 277. Here is the Dessalator reference, but I know it will me much cheaper in the US.  Complete pump head TET_POMPCAT277_COMP
1 Piece 1 290,65 1 290,65 20,0

I just had mine fail when the heads of two of the four bolts that hold the pump head to the body sheared off. That's stainless for you. When I queried Dessalator about it they blamed it on the vibration of the ship!! My unit had 903 hours on it.

I would strongly advise that these bolts are changed every 700 hours to avoid the expense of a pump rebuild or replacement.

There is a number on the pump body that I can get you tomorrow if you wish.

Cheers

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Leros Greece

On 21/09/2018 05:58, eric kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Does anyone know the model number of the Cat pump on the 160 lph watermaker?
It was suggested it is model 277.
Fair Winds,
eric
SM 376 Kimberlite