Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] run away windlass

greatketch@...

Kent,

There is a write up of the wiring work I did on the windlass here:  https://fetchinketch.net/boat-projects/windlass-wiring/  I haven't written up the changes I made to the sheet winch wiring yet, but it is on my to-do list :-)

The previous owner of Harmonie protected the bow thruster wiring by putting 125 amp terminal fuses on each of the four 24V battery positive terminals.  When I upgraded the battery bank, the new batteries were just a tiny bit higher, and the terminal fuses no longer fit under the cover.

I replaced them with a single 500 amp fuse in the main battery wire before the shut down switches.  That would blow before the cables to the windlass or the engine room melted down from a short somewhere.

There is no power supply switch on the thruster, other than the main power switch.  Not a perfect solution, but I'll live with it.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <karkauai@...> wrote :

Hi Bill,
That’s probably a good idea, do you have pics of the installations and the parts/sources you used?

I know there’s been discussion in the past about adding a fuse/breaker/interrupt switch for the bow thruster.  Did you do that while you were at it?  If not, what was your thought process about it?

Thanks
Kent

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Sep 23, 2018, at 7:03 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We added breakers to interrupt the power to the motors for the windlass, and jib furler and, more recently, an emergency stop system for the sheet winches for this reason.

The previous owners of Harmonie had the same problem happen with a jib sheet winch--relay contacts welded themselves shut and no way to stop it without cutting the power to the whole boat.  (On older SM's--like ours--the control box for the port side winch is way up high, inside the cockpit locker.)

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA