Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Goit Deck Hatch Lens Reseal

svsunnyside

Hi Kent
Acrilic and Plexiglas are the same.
Plexiglas is the trade name given  by the inventor Roehm & Haas .
Regards

Gabriele
Sunny Side
Maramu #219

On Wednesday, 26 September 2018, 12:33:06 GMT-4, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

I’m just about to do one on Kristy, Bill.  It had cracked last year and I had it done professionally by a company in Ft Lauderdale.  They used a clear silicone caulk which leaked a couple months later.

From what I’ve been reading, a glazing sealant by Dow (DC795) is what many professionals use, and what I’m going to use.  My hatch lenses are plexiglass, not acrylic.  I don’t know if DC795 works on acrylic or not.

For what it’s worth, there’s another product called DeBond that was designed to release 3M’s 5200 sealant.  I used it to get the hatch frame off of the deck and it made that job, and cleaning the old sealant off of the frame MUCH easier.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM 243

There is a specific silicone for bonding acrylic to aluminum. I forgot which one it was. Last time I called GE silicone division and they gave me the number it is not your regular silicone. Also when I rebuilt my last boat I spoke to the people at Atkins Hoyle. They recommend to prime the edge of the Plexiglas and the frame with toluene . It made the surfaces very sticky and the hatches never leaked. I also used under the genoa cars and the silicone stuck like crazy to it..  Be careful as it is very toxic.
Fair Winds,
Eric
SM 376

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 12:02 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Has anyone else had the need to re-seal the lens into one of the Goit deck hatches?  I just had one pop loose.

I've reset the lenses of other brands before, bedding them down in silicone, but just wondering if anyone knows of anything "unusual" about the Goit hatches?

Thanks!

Bill Kinney

Sm160, Harmonie

Annapolis, MD, USA