Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Yanmar starting problem

karkauai

Mark, when I repowered, i had it set up so that the battery negative is only connected to the engine block when the key is turned to “glow”, “start”, and when I push the “Stop” button.  If it were connected when the key is in the “on” position, the battery would be connected to the bonding system when ever the engine is running.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

On Sep 28, 2018, at 8:15 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Cool, Mark.  That’s a great little gadget!

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

On Sep 27, 2018, at 7:48 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

It is going to be a problem in one of two areas. The starter or the panel (fuse or key switch). This is assuming you have already checked the engine start battery? If you haven’t checked the battery, jump if from one of the house batteries. Unless you have a good load tester, the battery may be bad but still test okay. Easiest way to find out is to jump it.

Buy a heavy duty one of these (any good auto parts store will have one): https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W80586-Remote-Starter/dp/B00OPVYHZ4/ref=pd_sbs_469_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00OPVYHZ4&pd_rd_r=08c6ff7b-c2ad-11e8-a3f5-a953cb310f5f&pd_rd_w=hNR7v&pd_rd_wg=tTgxs&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=0bb14103-7f67-4c21-9b0b-31f42dc047e7&pf_rd_r=HB14K7VGEC8X04D5100P&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=HB14K7VGEC8X04D5100P

Connect this to the starter. Be VERY careful to connect it to the correct terminals (Not the +\-) It connects to the Pos and the S (small) terminal on the starter. Turn the ignition on. Push the button. If the engine starts the problem is in the panel. If the engine doesn’t start, it is the starter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP6PbKhEzjU . this little switch basically bypasses the panel and allows you to isolate the problem.

Some people will make the connecting across the starters Pos and S terminals with a screw driver to start the engine. I think this is dangerous and would never recommend it unless it was a last resort. And, you will ruin a perfectly good screwdriver in the process.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Bonaire

www.creampuff.us