Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Galley Refrigerator Malfunction

Ian Shepherd

Jose,

I had a similar problem some years back. The compressor ran but the fan didn't. The advice I got was that it was a problem within the controller (assuming you have applied 24V to the fan and checked it is OK?).

But you don't need to replace the controller. Simply connect the fan wires to 24V on the unit and you will be OK. Yes the fan will always be running when the fridge is powered on, but it will only consume milliamps. Mine has been running like this for several years now without any problem. Save the $200 for when the controller no longer works at all.

This workaround advice was given to me by a refrigeration engineer.

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Leros Greece

On 28/09/2018 21:56, Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Jose,

Amel installed a 2-speed switch for fan speed control. I believe you may be talking about that switch. Possibly there is something wrong with the switch, the switch was replaced by the wrong type of switch, or there is something wrong with the fan. If the fan must work correctly, and the condenser must be free of dust for the refrigerator to work correctly.

The Danfoss is the compressor controller. It is a common part on most marine refrigerators. It can cause the start issues you have. I had 3 refrigeration units on BeBe #387 and always had a spare Danfoss to troubleshoot with. It costs about 200 euro.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 1:29 PM jvenegas@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank you Bill,

My Frigoboat has a Danfoss control 102N4030 which runs the compressor and the fan
There is a switch with a red light, which seems to control the fan.  When I turned down such a switch down the compressor started, and the freezer is now getting cold but the fan is not running.

Do you know what for is the switch?  Could it be that something is wrong with the control?

I agree that the refrigerator is old, but my experience is those older refrigerators can last forever.  My grandmother refrigerator is still running after more than 60 years of use ;).

Jose