From: "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] run away windlass

Kent,

There is a write up of the wiring work I did on the windlass here:  https://fetchinketch.net/boat-projects/windlass-wiring/  I haven't written up the changes I made to the sheet winch wiring yet, but it is on my to-do list :-)

The previous owner of Harmonie protected the bow thruster wiring by putting 125 amp terminal fuses on each of the four 24V battery positive terminals.  When I upgraded the battery bank, the new batteries were just a tiny bit higher, and the terminal fuses no longer fit under the cover.

I replaced them with a single 500 amp fuse in the main battery wire before the shut down switches.  That would blow before the cables to the windlass or the engine room melted down from a short somewhere.

There is no power supply switch on the thruster, other than the main power switch.  Not a perfect solution, but I'll live with it.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA