Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Goit Deck Hatch Lens Reseal

Ryan Meador

When I redid the hatches on my old boat, Atkins and Hoyle recommended GE SCS2000 silicone.  It worked great and was still strong and leak-free when I sold the boat 7 years later.  Also at the recommendation of A&H, I used Silaprene (though I'm not sure which specific variant) for attaching new hatch gaskets at the same time and it held up great.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 10:36 PM eric kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,
I believe you are confusing Plexiglas with Lexan . Lexan is stronger that Plexiglas but scratches much easier. If it is also not UV treated it will yellow with age. Plexiglas-acrylic is preferred for glazing.
Fair Winds,
Eric
Sm 376 Kimberlite

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 11:55 AM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Hmm, thanks, Gabriele,  I didn't realize that.  When I ordered the new lens, I was told I could either have acrylic or plexiglass.  Acrylic being stronger, but Plexiglass being more resistant to scratches.

Here's a blurb I just found: Although Plexiglass is a form of acrylic plastic, there are subtle differences between the two types. Plexiglass has the distinction of being harder than normal acrylic which makes it easier to drill and cut without breakage. Additionally, Plexiglass is more chemical resistant than traditional acrylic.

I looked it up on Dow's info page.  Scuffing the acrylic with 80 grit sandpaper, then cleaning with alcohol is recommended with DowCorning's 795.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.  I'm using DC795 grey color.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy