Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Extra autopilot

Arthur,

What you want is the Raymarine M81137 Type 2 Rotary Drive 24V. You will also need an A/B switch, probably from Raymarine, but any switch which will take 2 pair of wires and direct the Course Computer OUT to 2 different sources will work as long as it will switch 10 amps. You will need a chain sprocket to attach to the Helm Axle. The attached photo may help you and here are some links to the drive I speak of:

When completing the installation you will need to switch polarity of the chain drive motor. you can do this at the A/B switch. If not, when the chain drive is selected, the rudder will turn in the opposite direction from what is needed.

DO NOT FORGET: All of these 24 Volt Drives have a 12 Volt clutch...if you connect the clutch to 24 volts, you will fry it.

I answered your questions, BUT, there is a better way to have drive redundancy. Simply buy a second Raymarine M81134 Type 2 Long Linear Drive 24 Volt. It is very easy to swap out the linear drive and you should know that the rotary drive is noisy.

I hope this helps you in your decision.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Any opinions and conclusions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and should not be construed as representing the opinion of an expert. Manufacturers' and Expert's precautions must be considered when dealing with mechanical and/or electrical systems to ensure that you are NOT harmed, and/or the device and/or system is NOT ruined. If in doubt, do not touch any mechanical and/or electrical device or system referred to above.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 3:26 AM arthur@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We want mount an extra autopilot on SM 435, VISTA.

The one we have now is on the quadrant .

You who have done this which type and model?

And where is it mounted?

arthur sundqvist

SM435 VISTA

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.