Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Shock from windlass


karkauai
 

On it tomorrow, Pat.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 9, 2018, at 12:22 PM, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Kent, Why don't you check between the windlass and rail with a meter both ways , see if you get a voltage reading. What about running a wire from the neg. and then pos. side in the battery bank to your meter up at the windlass and again using the meter ,see if you have a reading ,also check the railing.

Good Luck,
Pat
SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Sat, Oct 6, 2018 8:37 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Shock from windlass

 
Ok, thanks Bill and Bill.  Going to check it out tomorrow.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

On Oct 6, 2018, at 4:50 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 
Kent,

If there was no AC shore power connected, then that makes things a lot simpler--and safer.

24 Volts DC will normally not give enough current flow through the human body to notice. With very sweat-wet skin I have felt feel what might best be called a "tingle," not anything I'd call a "jolt" although it can be surprising.  

You can certainly put one hand on each terminal of a 24 Volt battery and not feel a thing, because your body has a far higher resistance than that wrench shorted across those same terminals.

Anything less than 50 Volts is normally considered "safe" for people.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.