Re: Repowering: Good running Volvo D3 or rebuild Perkins Prima 80T??

Craig Briggs

Hi Davi,
Just out of curiosity, why are you repowering? How many hours on your Perkins? What problems lead you to repower decision?
Should be about $2500 to re-do your Perkins if you do it yourself and it's great fun - should take only about a week.
Cheers, Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <davi.rozgonyi@...> wrote :

Hey all.... So I'm repowering my SM and have been presented (maybe) with two options: Complete overhaul and rebuild/rebore of the original Perkins Prima 80T (80 horses) or dropping in the Volvo D3 out of a 54 (110 hp). I know they're completely different beasts, and I'd love the extra HP, but am also more interested in absolute reliability. The Volvo is claimed to run perfectly by people I trust (the future rebuilder of the Perkins and the previous owner of my boat, who is probably reading this and who has been nothing but 1000% honest with me).

I've done some research and read that Volvos dont seem much desired and/or finicky and/or expensive to fix. BUT that's a lotta extra juice :) My question: Is it worth the squeeze?