Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Priming Fresh water pump

Sv Garulfo

Hi Bill,

That sounds like bad news (like a somehow broken pump) because i would expect a suction side air leak to have caused problems before we got into the empty tank situation?

Is there a foot valve on the suction line side in the tank to keep it primed ? Is that what you call the in-line one way valve?

I’ll investigate the hoses and try the pump on its own.

Thanks
Thomas

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 09:19, Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

It is self priming.

Self priming pumps don't prime if there is a suction-side air leak. Maybe the easiest way to find the problem is to disconnect the suction hose at the source fitting near the bulkhead behind the pump and using a funnel add water to the pump through this hose and reconnect. The suction leak is probably at this hose connection, or at the other end of this hose at the connection to the pump.

Also, you might find the in-line one-way valve stuck open with trash.

Hope this helps.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 07:31 'S/V Garulfo' svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Last night our fresh water pump emptied the fresh water tank (via the toilet rinse).

We refilled the tank with 150L of water. But the pump runs empty. I feel the suction line needs to be re primed.
We have the original Reya pump and accumulator from Amel.

Any advice on how to do that?

Thanks
Thomas

GARULFO