Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Climma A/C saltwater plumbing - I was wrong!

Mark Erdos

Bill,

I do not think you are wrong. The old saying, I was wrong once when I thought I was wrong. 

First, the date on the schematic is 2014. Perhaps this is true for vessels manufactured after this date. However, the Amel factory installed units on Cream Puff are most certainly in series. Case in point, the forward AC unit’s output is connected directly to the through hull fitting under the port berth in the forward cabin. This is the only output for the sea-water flow. If the units were in parallel, there would have to be some sort of manifold for the other unit’s output to come together for this exit point between the unit and the through hull fitting. But, there isn’t. Or, there would have to be additional through hull fittings for the other AC units. This is also not the case. The only way this can be explained is the units are in series.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Aruba

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:08 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Climma A/C saltwater plumbing - I was wrong!

All,

About 10 years ago someone from Amel explained to me the saltwater plumbing to the Climma Compact units were in series with the cooling water getting progressively warmer with each unit. When I looked at each visible hose, it appeared that they were in series.

With the help of Rob Warren at Coastal Climate Control and Thierry Billard at Amel, this has been clarified. The units are plumbed parallel.

I have been wrong about this for 10 years because the parallel hose junctions are hidden and only one inlet and output at each Climma Unit. Also, many years ago when someone told me they were in series and I did not check! (always measure twice😀).

Later today I will upload a waterflow diagram that illustrates this.

I apologize for the error and hope that this did not cause any issues for you, especially Loca Lola who installed AC units recently based on my instructions.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  
http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Any opinions and conclusions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and should not be construed as representing the opinion of an expert. Manufacturers' and Expert's precautions must be considered when dealing with mechanical and/or electrical systems to ensure that you are NOT harmed, and/or the device and/or system is NOT ruined. If in doubt, do not touch any mechanical and/or electrical device or system referred to above.

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.