From: sangaris@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Thu, Oct 11, 2018 10:36 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Diesel leak

Hi Pat,
I think the conventional wisdom is do not use teflon tape as there is risk of a piece getting loose and clogging things downstream. Paste sealant is preferred. Then again, if you're really, really careful, maybe, but why risk it for a cheap tube of paste.

I've got a Northern Lights, not Onan, but suspect the hpp assembly is similar, with a reducing nipple coming out of the hpp and the injector pipes fastened to the smaller end. If your is like that, can you definitively tell which end of the nipple is leaking?

On mine, a couple of months ago, it was the larger end at the hpp.  That's sealed inside the hpp with an O ring so I took it to an diesel pump shop to redo - I don't open my injector pumps myself - and it had 7500 hours, so it was due for servicing anyway. If your leak is at the small end to the injector pipe, sure, try some seaant.

Good luck with i t,  Craig, SN68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

I am sorry , I failed to mention that the leak is on the Onan Gen engine ,not the Volvo.
Thanks,
Pat