From: Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Thu, Oct 11, 2018 6:41 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Carbon Dioxide

On my old boat, I saw what you experienced many, many times.  I was initially extremely concerned, as one should be.  But then one day my boat got unplugged from shore power by the dock staff, and that night after plugging it back in I was awakened by the CO alarm..  There had been nothing on board that produces CO in many days.  After much experimentation, I proved to my own satisfaction that the CO alarm was actually sensitive to hydrogen gas produced by the batteries when they were excessively charged.  It seems this is true for many CO alarms.

Take the alarm seriously.  Air the boat out well, and take care not to let exhaust inside.  But also check to see if your battery compartment ventilation is working correctly, and also check that your batteries aren't overcharging.  Some chargers will keep the voltage too high even though the batteries are full because other loads (e.g. refrigerator) are making the charger believe the batteries are still accepting a lot of current.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 6:39 PM 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Pat,

Good to remind us all.

Also, it is good to close the rear head porthole if running the genset. Our CO2 alarm went off once in the aft cabin and this was where the gas entered.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Aruba